What to Expect
We offer Sunday Worship at 10:30 am and 5:00 pm.
Our congregation includes people of different ages, races & ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities — people from all walks of life. If you’re looking for a church committed to the expansive Gospel of Jesus Christ, come see what we offer.
We are a dynamic liturgical church. In the morning, we sing music from a broad range of places, including hymns, spirituals, and Taize chants. We offer a children’s sermon each Sunday morning and consider worship to be an opportunity for shared leadership as we invite people into the regular roles of assisting minister, readers, greeters, and communion assistants.
Our interim 5:00 pm Worship Service offers contemplative worship with Taize Chant and Communion in the Chapel.
Homeless Memorial Sunday, December, 20, 2015
Sundays at Luther Place
- 9:15 am Spiritual Formation for Children, Youth (Chapel) & Adults (Library)
- 9:30 am Community Choir Rehearsal (Sanctuary) — Come as you are!
- 10:30 am Worship Service with Communion (Free ASL interpreter available for this service. Email the Director of Operations to make arrangements.)
- 5:00 pm Evening Worship Service with Communion (Chapel)
Children are encouraged to participate at all services. We offer hospitality for children through an activity table in the back of the Sanctuary. For the very young (infants-5 years old), a nursery is available before, during, and after the 10:30 am Worship Service.
We believe that God cares more about you than about what you wear to church, so casual clothing is fine. We dress very casually around here, leave that tie at home. Very likely a Sunday School or Adult Formation leader may be wearing jeans or casual pants. In fact, when the weather warms up, don’t be surprised to see people in shorts.
Luther Place is located at 1226 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington DC 20005. We are on Thomas Circle, at the intersection of 14th Street, N Street, Massachusetts Avenue, and Vermont Avenue, NW. Get directions.
Join us as we gather in the Chapel at 9:15 am Sunday mornings to engage music and God’s word as our opening. Children of all ages are welcome to Luther Place’s Sunday school ministry! Please email Director of Youth & Families Krista Sickert-Bush for more information.
Adult Spiritual Formation
Do you have questions about discipleship, and following Jesus? On Sundays, we gather at 9:15 am in the Library to make connections between our faith, historical religious leaders, spiritual practices, and our daily lives. Please email Pastor Karen.
Looking to grow spiritually and build relationships at Luther Place? Please email Pastor Karen for more information.
Are you looking for fellowship with men? This group gathers monthly to share a meal and conversation; please email Jeff Serfass for more information.
20’s & 30’s
Our young adults have regular opportunities for fellowship and to explore spirituality. A great way to stay connected is to join our Luther Place Young Adult Facebook Group. Please email Vanesa Hernandez for more information.
Please visit our Engage page for a full listing of opportunities at Luther Place.
Pastor Karen Brau, ordained in 1990, came to Luther Place Memorial Church in December 2008 after serving as Pastor of Amazing Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in East Baltimore for 18 years.
“Pastor Karen,” as she is known to the congregation, graduated with a Masters of Divinity from Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary in 1988 and did her Lutheran coursework at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. She grew up in various parts of New York State and is a 1981 graduate of Hamilton College in Clinton, NY,majoring in economics. After graduation from Hamilton, Pastor Karen worked in New York City at a major commercial bank for four and a half years.
In 2016, along with artist Emily C-D, Pastor Karen published a book of poetry and artwork entitled We Garden Under Blue Lights.
Pastor Karen has two children, Samuel and Hannah. Sam is 28 years old and lives in London. Hannah is a 22-year-old recent college graduate who resides in Washington, DC. Pastor Karen is married to Ed Miller and they live in the church parsonage with two wonderful dogs.
Taking time for reflection can sometimes be difficult given the realities of daily life in Washington D.C. We invite you to create sacred time and space for a few moments each day and offer the following resources.
Spiritual Growth Resources
- Pray-as-You-Go: daily prayer, scripture, & centering devotion downloadable on your electronic device produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives.
- Inward/Outward-seeking the depths: daily thoughts sent to your e-mail inviting you to slow down and ponder, a project of the Church of the Saviour.
- Living Lutheran: Martin Luther said, “Our faith is a living, busy, mighty, active thing.” Living Lutheran invites you to share in the sense of purpose that our faith brings to our lives through a variety of online publications.
- Rolling Ridge Retreat House: Located on 1400 acres of forest in West Virginia, Rolling Ridge includes an art cottage, a meditation chapel and a labyrinth. Individual, family and group retreat options are available.
Daily Bible Reading
Daily Devotional Reading
Submit a prayer request and our Pastoral Team or a member of the Luther Place Prayer Community will pray for your request.