Updated: March 23, 2018
On April 3-5, 2018 the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) and its partners will gather in Washington, D.C. for a historic event to launch its Truth and Racial Justice Initiative. As we mark 50 years since the assassination of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on April 4, 1968, we will commit to do our part to eradicate the entrenched racism that grips the United States and paralyzes our ability to see every human being as equal.
Luther Place and N Street Village are looking for 50 members/friends to attend one or more events. Signup sheets are available in the Sanctuary during March, or please contact Gary Maring, Portia Migas Robertson, Ann Hill or Tara Hogan.
Schedule At-A-Glance for April 3-5, 2018
Tuesday, April 3: Ecumenical Worship Service in the Orthodox Tradition
- 6:30 pm – St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 2815 36th Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
Wednesday, April 4: ACT to End Racism Rally on the National MallRally begins at 7 am in two locations:
- 7 – 8 am – Location 1: On the Mall at 12th Street, where the stage will be, with intercessory prayer.
- 7 – 8 am – Location 2: Silent Prayer Walk to the National Mall – starts at the Polo Fields across from the MLK, Jr. Memorial. The procession will be accompanied by a single drummer.
- 8 – 9 am – Interfaith Service (on stage)
- 9 am – 4 pm – Rally and Call to Commitment (on stage – speeches, music, call-to-action, etc. ELCA Presiding Bishop Eaton will speak from the stage at ~1 pm.We are encouraging Luther Place members to attend and show solidarity.
- 4 pm – Luther Place, 1226 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005, opens to provide fellowship, restrooms, prayer, light refreshments, and a place to relax.
- 6 pm – Sing Along with Ambassadors of Praise and Eric Maring’s Musical Group (Civil Rights era Spiritual Music) at Luther Place, 1226 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005
There will be an ELCA tent on the Mall (east of the Washington Monument near 12th Street). Bishop Eaton, along with other ELCA synod bishops, will be at the ELCA tent greeting visitors.
Thursday, April 5: National Day of Advocacy & Action
- Please make sure you regularly check our website, rally2endracism.org, as event details will be updated constantly as they are confirmed. In addition, as you prepare to come to DC, here is some basic information to help you get ready.
Spread the Word!!
- Please spread the word about the rally and other events happening April 3-5. Check the website rally2endracism.org frequently as we are constantly updating information as we confirm new details. You can also share the Facebook Event created by the National Council of Churches and use hashtags #ACT2EndRacism and #rally2endracism on Twitter to spread the word. Are you Insta? Follow us on Instagram @act2endracism.